Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Why GMA gave me a bloody nose


For the past two weeks, I've known that I would be appearing on Good Morning America. Last Friday I spent two hours on the phone with a GMA writer, who collected anecdotes and information about possible photographs that would be shown on air. The writer followed up with a couple of additional phone calls and e-mails the last couple of days. So although the pending appearance on a national TV show made me a bit nervous, it was a welcome relief to know that there was some preparation on the part of the show. 

Chris Cuomo interviewed me for GMA at the ABC studio in the Pepsi Center here in Denver, where the Democratic National Convention is being held. 

Cuomo made me feel welcome, and in the moments before the interview started, made sure he knew how to pronounce my last name. 

"Any relation?" he asked, presumably meaning to John Philip Sousa, the famed bandleader (who spells his name with a second "S" and not a "Z".) 

"He's my great, great grand nothing," I replied. Cuomo laughed and that seemed to relax me even more.

The interview itself was a blur. Several people called and e-mailed to say I had done a great job.
Who knows.

When I got back to my hotel, my nose was a bit stuffy and when I blew into a tissue, blood came pouring out. Probably a combination of the high altitude, a very dry hotel room, and the nerves of being on a national TV show. 

No comments: